EthernetInterface in mbed OS5 with lan8720

Does OS 5 support lan8720 in EthernetInterface? If not, how can I include the driver?

on which platform? In STM32 HAL, the LAN8720 is not handled correctly and I have opened already an issue in mbed-os for that.
The issue adresses the autonegotiation. When it can be set to fixed speed, you can do this in stm32f4_eth_conf.c as a workaround.

Hi, on the LPCxpresso1769

it should work on LPC1769. When you check the source for this emac, you’ll find the the phy id is read and the LAN8720 is handled, although the file suggests different.

Thank you Johannes for sharing this info! I have spent a lot of time trying to fix that, however with no success.
I don’t know how to turn the autonegotiation off by modifying the ‘stm32f4_eth_conf.c’ file. But after changing the ‘mbed-os\features\netsocket\emac-drivers\TARGET_STM\stm32f4xx_emac.cpp’ file (Edit: ‘stm32f4xx_hal_eth.c’ was a mistake) as below the LAN8720 started to work with my STM32F407VET6 like a charm:

bool STM32_EMAC::low_level_init_successful()
#ifndef ETH_IP_VERSION_V2
{
    /* Init ETH */
    uint8_t MACAddr[6];
    EthHandle.Instance = ETH;
    //EthHandle.Init.AutoNegotiation = ETH_AUTONEGOTIATION_ENABLE;
    EthHandle.Init.AutoNegotiation = ETH_AUTONEGOTIATION_DISABLE;
    EthHandle.Init.Speed = ETH_SPEED_100M;
}

Best regards, Zoltan

Hi Zoltan,
instead of modifying mbed-os source, you can use a custom target to change this setting. Fortunately, the function _eth_config_mac() is called after the general init and a custom init can overwrite the settings.
I’m using the same board as you and you can find a custom target definition in my github repo:

That’s definitely a cleaner solution. :slight_smile: Thank you Johannes.

Hi Zoltan, Johannes

I’m new to this… where exactly would I put these custom_targets in my project directory structure?

For some reason I’m finding the DP83848 a little flakey… sometimes failing to get a DHCP address and unreliable with ping replies, so keen to try the LAN8270

Cheers

PS: I’m using the STM32F407VET6 Blackboard

You can put it anywhere in your project structure.
I‘m using the same board, so my repo should work for you also.

Thanks Johannes,

Cool, I’ll simply put the custom_targets directory from your GitHub straight into my project “root” directory

Awesome

Cheers

Johannes,

I also notice I can’t see any reference to the LAN8720 per se. Does that mean this will also disable AUTONEG and force 100M/Full when using the DP83848?

yes, thats right. These lines could be removed when using a DP83848, but I think today its most common to use >= 100 MBit and it should be no problem.

Thanks Again,

I had to move custom_targets.json to the root of the project as opposed to in the custom_targets directory because I could find the target.

Now, I can select STM32F407VE_BLACK as the target

Do a clean build, and it shows

| custom_targets/TARGET_STM | 1020(+1020) | 0(+0) | 0(+0) |

So I assume its found and compiled the new code properly.

However, I get the same result as prior to the customisations … the LAN8720 flashes at various rates with no pattern I can figure. DHCP server (Linux) doesn’t see any packets (according to tcpdump).

Am I missing anything? Any thing else I should try? What other information should I be giving you?

Thanks again for the help

Ha, …it helps if I st-flash the correct binary!! Of course its in BUILD/STM32F407VE_BLACK/ARMC6 now :slight_smile:

Now I have another issue in that D2 just flashes 4 long then 4 (maybe 3) short… so off to look at that now, and hopefully after that I’ll change the DP83848 to LAN8720 and it will work

The flashing pattern looks like mbed die, that’s more likely a wrong pin assignment to some peripherals. Can you connect a terminal program to the serial out? That will help you to catch the reason earlier.

Thanks Johannes,

It turns out that if I use PA_9 & PA_10 for my serial connection, it works Ok. If I use PB_6 and PB_7, it works for the ARCH_MAX target, but not the STM32F407VET6.

Unfortunately, I’ve had daughter boards made using PB_6 & 7, so unless you can think of a software fix, I’ll have to use the ARCH_MAX and forgoe using LAN8720 - No big deal really

Cheers

Hi Andy,

I’ve checked the schematics and the the pinnames.h. PB_6 and PB_7 is used for the nRF socket, and PB_6 is used for SPI_CS. This can be the only reason for a problem, I have no code in the custom_targets that use these pins.

Hi Johannes,

Thanks for that. Maybe you can help me understand something… if the ARCH_MAX is supposed to be interchangeable with the F407VET6 (as per Zoltans page), why would the PinNames.h be different?

Cheers

The programs will compile and run, but in detail there will be some pins different. LED, Button, serial port and others can be different and are set in the PinNames.h.