Mbed Studio 1.4.2 linter bugs

Hello @Tijn_Losekoot,

Thanks for the input,
Indeed I think you’re right.

The fact that linter/IntelliSense doesn’t work correctly with GCC (and with custom targets) is a major drawback for us.

I liked the idea to have an “out of the box” IDE to instantly play with MbedOS.
It’s a good way to easily introduce the software to students or collaborators.

Unfortunately, MbedStudio is not usable for us in its current state.
And I do not want to use the online “Keil Studio Cloud”.

So right now, among solutions to write code for MbedOS, we mainly use VSCode after typing mbed export -i vscode_gcc_arm in the root of the project.
Clion is also an excellent IDE using mbed export -i cmake_gcc_arm.
But in both cases, people must be comfortable using mbed in command line for compiling or uploading.

The following is off-topic:

Additionally to the post you provide, I still don’t understand why “Mbed CLI 1” was frozen, when “Mbed CLI 2” (or mbed-tools) is still in beta, and rarely updated (Last true closed issue: september 2021. Last merged PR: 1 year ago. Last real repo update: 1 year ago).
We’re still using Mbed CLI 1, even with MbedOS 6.17, and fortunately it still works great (provided you use a .mbedignore file to accelerate building).

Generally speaking, as said in previous post and messages on this forum (here, here, here … ), MbedOS development seems to be on hold. And it is difficult to seek a clear response from arm about the future of the software.

A lot of people are using Mbed, it’s an “easy” embedded OS, a big step from Arduino, but not as big as moving to Zephyr (for example). It’s a good in-between, It would be a shame if arm stop working on it. Nevertheless, MbedCE seems to be a promising community fork/evolution.

Best regards.

1 Like