Mbed Studio / ST-Link/V2

Currently, MBed studio does not interface directly with the ST-Link for programming/debugging. Is there a reason for this and is it likely to be supported in the future?

Hi Tristan,

Which board are you using?

Some of ST boards are supported, I tried L475 iot board it works.

Is the program built with DEBUG profile?

Regards,
Desmond

I’d also like to see this. Currently of course it is simple and easy to build the binary and flash it to an STM32 using STM32 ST-Link Utility (or CubeProgrammer). However, you are unable to flash directly from within Mbed Studio and also therefore unable to use the debugger.

To clarify; using a development board, such as one of the Nucleo boards, you are able to do this from within Mbed Studio. As soon as you use a standalone ST-Link/V2 you’re unable to do so.

Best regards,
Adam

Hi,

I’m interpreting this as Mbed Studio support for the external ST-Link probe - is that correct?

If so, the good news is we are working on this at the moment. However, it’s something we’ve just started on.

Thanks,
Joe

3 Likes

Hi Joe,

This is indeed what I meant, obviously I can’t speak for @trism11. Great to hear that support is planned!

Cheers,
Adam

In a previous version, the ST Nucleo F429ZI was working. I could debug or deploy. In 0.7 it’s seems to have stopped working. It might be since I updated the firmware on my Nucleo board (not sure)

Hi Joe,

That’s it. Same dilemma @amitchone wanting to use it to directly flash and debug an STM32. Thank you for the work, good to see it developing.

Thanks,
Tristan

1 Like

It is great news!
I also use external ST-Link and it would be great to flash/debug directly from Mbed Studio.

Hi Adam,

just to be sure. I’m currently working on NUCLEO-L4R5ZI board which is “mbed enabled”.
With visual studio 0.7.0 I can build and generate .bin example (like mbed-os-example-blinky). I can drag and drop the bin file on NUCLEO and this working fine.
However, "run " and “debug” button on visual studio is not available. My question is:

• How can I activate them?
    Because this board is “pelion” compatible and I would like to work with.
    Thanks and regards
    Mikael

Hey Mikael,

Just to be clear, you do mean Mbed Studio, right? Just to clarify!

I’ve noticed that, unless the target is auto-detected by Mbed Studio, you can’t program/debug from within Mbed Studio. I’d imagine that the support and dev teams are aware of this - it’s worth either reporting the bug from within Mbed Studio or just making a separate post on here. The support team are really active on these forums so you’ll definitely get through to them!

Thank you Adam,

yes I mean Mbed studio.

Ok, I will report this issue to support team as it is a true problem for me.
By the way, shall i send this question on specific “support team” mail? I’m new on mbed forum. But forum and support should be two separate things? right?

Have a nice day

No worries!

To be honest, I’ve had more luck getting answers on this forum. I’ve reported a few bugs via Mbed Studio directly but a response seems to be much quicker when posting on here!

You have a good day too!

Hi Mikael,

Apologies for not answering in a timely manner. Mbed Studio is using pyOCD (GitHub - pyocd/pyOCD: Open source Python library for programming and debugging Arm Cortex-M microcontrollers) for deploying and debugging boards. Unfortunately at the moment NUCLEO-L4R5ZI is not officially supported by pyOCD.

That being said Mbed Studio is also extending the list of boards that can be debugged by supporting CMSIS Packs (CMSIS | CMSIS Packs – Arm Developer). I’ll check and let you know if we will be able to add support for debugging this board in the near future.

Thanks,
Arek - Mbed Studio team

1 Like

Hi Arek,

I was wondering if there are any updates on this? As far as I can tell there are no work-rounds I can use as I can only use openOCD for the STM board which isn’t support by studio but really want to be able to switch to studio as an easy all in one IDE.

Thanks,
Tristan

Hi Tristan,

Yes, please try Mbed Studio 1.0.0. We added in it a support for external STLink probes. You can find more information about it here: Custom targets - Supported and custom targets | Mbed Studio Documentation

Thanks,
Arek - Mbed Studio team

1 Like

Hi Arek,

I forgot to say thanks for the release, was obviously to excited to get stuck in. It worked pretty flawlessly, I appreciate the efforts of the team.

All the best.

2 Likes