Issues running the Blinky example on Arduino Nano 33 BLE

I see the board as an option in the target section. My board still functions and nothing else has been written to it, but I am having many issues writing to it. I am using Mbed studio and have attached a screen shot.

Any help would be appreciated.

Hello,
https://forums.mbed.com/t/mbed-studio-does-not-detect-my-arduino-nano-33-ble/12064/2?u=johnnyk

BR, Jan

Hello,

I saw your reply, and thank you for replying here too.

I guess, I am confused as to why the board would be an option on the platforms list if it is not able to be implemented.

-E

Yes, I totally understand your confusion.
I don’t know how you are familiar with Mbed, but there is a target.json file what is probably the source for this tree.
Probably there is a problem with a missing flag in settings of Arduino NANO 33 BLE. But I am not sure, maybe it’s an intention, that I don’t understand.

BR, Jan

You should refer to section 4.3 (Debug) of the official Nano 33 BLE datasheet.

This tells you where to locate the SWD and SWCLK pins, which you’ll need in order to flash the Nano 33 BLE board using Mbed Studio with a DAPlink device.

As @JohnnyK noted, you should look at Use MBED with Arduino MBED compatible board ? · Issue #19 · arduino/ArduinoCore-nRF528x-mbedos · GitHub

Here it notes the difference, i.e. Arduino IDE’s Upload option is not integrated with the “Mass storage” upload option but is a serial based one.

As such, I’d suggest you use the Arduino IDE to write your Mbed code as it should still compile within the Arduino IDE, or alternatively you can copy and paste your Mbed Studio code into the Arduino IDE in order to compile and upload.

1 Like

Thank you for your reply. This is helpful.

Thank you very much - this is helpful. Still trying to get a hang of these.

I don’t think you can flash your Arduino directly from Mbed Studio but the easiest way to deploy your Mbed program to your Arduino Nano 33 BLE is explained here.

tl;dr:

1. Add the following to you mbed_json.app to create a .bin binary of your Mbed program
"ARDUINO_NANO33BLE": {
    "target.OUTPUT_EXT": "bin"
}
  1. Build your program inside Mbed Studio
  2. Double tap the reset button to put your Arduino into bootloader mode
  3. Use Arduino’s bossac command line tool to flash the board:
"{path-to-arduino-bossac}/bossac" -d --port={port-name}  -U -i -e -w "./BUILD/ARDUINO_NANO33BLE/ARMC6/{mbed-progam-name}.bin" -R
1 Like