Arm Mbed OS support forum

MbedTLS failing with "The certificate is not correctly signed by the trusted CA" (0x08) connecting to Google Cloud load balancer

mbedTLS version: mbed TLS 2.16.6 branch released 2020-04-14

We are using mbedTLS on ARM target to provide TLS 1.2 for GCP connections. One connection type is using “self-managed” SSL certs and works fine.
The other connection’s end point is Google HTTPS load balancer and is using “Google-managed” SSL certs. This connection fails with flags == 0x08 which is the “not signed by trusted CA” error.

Flag is set in function x509_crt_verify_chain(…) after call to x509_crt_find_parent(…) returns no “parent” pointer.

/* No parent? We're done here */
    if( parent == NULL )
    {
        *flags |= MBEDTLS_X509_BADCERT_NOT_TRUSTED;       
        return( 0 );
    }

On this forum I found a post with similar problem ( Mbedtls_ssl_handshake return error -0x2700 ) where the handshake was failing due to CA being set to FALSE.
The OP in that post was able to resolve the problem after modifying the certificate.

I downloaded and compared the two certs and sure enough the one that is working has CA:TRUE and the failing which is Google-managed cert has CA:FALSE.

Google’s online docs ( SSL certificates overview  |  Load Balancing  |  Google Cloud ) list some limitations to Google-managed SSL certs, in particular this line:

“Google Cloud load balancers don’t support client certificate-based authentication (mutual TLS, mTLS).”

We are in communication with Google about the problem but I wanted to ask some questions here:

1. Is there a known incompatibility between mbedTLS and Google HTTPS load balancers? Google lists “mutual TLS” and “mTLS” as examples of “client certificate-based authentication”. Does mbedTLS fall under same category? Not sure if “mTLS” is/was another name for mbedTLS.

2. Is there any remedy for CA:FALSE on the client side other than running with “authmode” set to MBEDTLS_SSL_VERIFY_OPTIONAL? What are the security risks with that, MITM, certs spoof, self-signed certs, etc?

Thanks!