Multi-user installer

We use Windows in our teaching lab, and each student has their own account (managed by a domain controller). This is also a GDPR requirement for us.

We cannot use Mbed Studio as (unlike the Mac version), it does not support installation for all users.

Is this a feature that will feature in the next few months? (If not, we will stick to Keil uVision for another year)

Hi,

We added support for this at your request :slight_smile:

It will be in our 0.8 release, which is currently being tested. All being well, it will go out this week.

Thanks,
Joe

1 Like

Thatā€™s great - Iā€™ll keep an eye out and get it deployed in the lab for semester 2!

1 Like

Hi,

Could you please elaborate on this? What do you mean it does not support installation for all users? Are you referring to the default workspace?

It sounds as we are in the very similar position (getting ready for semester 2 and wondering if it is worth risking beta software!).

With 0.7 I was planning on getting the students to create a workspace on their network drive as opposed to the default(local) one in Users/USERNAME/ that is periodically deleted. It seemed to work in the testing Iā€™ve done, but Iā€™m now worried there are other issues that I wonā€™t be aware of until I have 80 students trying (unsuccessfully) to blink an LED!

Hi

The 0.7 version will install for the current user account and save the files in the user local profile (not sure my terminology is right here - I spend more time on the Mac).

So if you log in as user A, install the software, log out, and log in as user B, the software will not be available.

I understand v0.8 may well be coming soon with this issue addressed.

Nick

Thanks for the info. Will do some testing and keep an eye out for 0.8.

Hi Craig,

Sure, as Joe mentioned we are adding a support for this feature in Mbed Studio 0.8.0 on Windows. Installer will contain two installation options:

1. (default) For current user: Default installation folder is set to LocalAppData folder and both application and tools are installed locally for current user.
  2. For all users (requires administration rights): Mbed Studio is by default installed in Program Files and is available for all users. Tools are installed in ProgramData folder.

Thanks,
Arek - Mbed Studio team

1 Like

Hi Nicholas, Craig

Mbed Studio 0.8.0 was released this week. It supports now installation for all users on Windows. To test it you need to first uninstall Mbed Studio 0.7.0 and then run new installer for 0.8.0 available at Mbed Studio | Mbed. During installation there is a new option to install Mbed Studio for all users (default option is still set to current user).
You canā€™t simply use built in auto-update on Windows as it keeps the installation type picked during installation. It will update to 0.8.0 for current user as that was the only option available in 0.7.0.

Do not hesitate to let us know in case of any issues.

Thanks,
Arek - Mbed Studio team

Many thanks ā€“ tested and it works well!

I shall ask that it is deployed in our teaching lab as ā€˜experimentalā€™

Nick

image001.jpg

Hi

Our IT support have been trying to deploy the software to all lab machines without reimaging all the machines.

There is a flag /S which allows a silent installer to run, however this only installs for the current user.
Is there an addition flag to switch to ā€œall-usersā€?

nick

Hi Nicholas,

Yes, Mbed Studio installer on Windows supports it. Please run it it with /ALLUSERS option.

Example:
MbedStudio-0.8.1.exe /S /ALLUSERS=1

You can also use /D={path} to override a default install location.

Iā€™ll make sure that we add a documentation section about supported installer parameters at Arm Mbed Studio - Arm Mbed Studio | Mbed Studio Documentation.

Thanks,
Arek - Mbed Studio team