New beta firmware for LPC1768

Hi guys,

I ran into some issues relating to the serial communications of the LPC1768 and PCs/Laptops. I have found a work around after some investigations and this is what I found (note that I have copied my finding across from github issues):

" After conducting some further investigations, it would seem that the issue is related to windows drivers being out dated for the LPC1768. I am not sure how to update the windows drivers as all the drivers I have are upto date as is windows its self. When I try to update the device drivers manually through device manager, windows states that the most up to date drivers are already installed.

I decided to update the firmware for the LPC again as a hell Mary and found that after doing so serial communications began to work without issue. Later I needed to use the LPC with my laptop for a group project that I am working on. Naturally I installed MBED Studios onto the laptop and connected the device only to find that serial communications once again didn’t work. Checking the windows driver versions for the LPC I found:

driver version as 6.1.7600.16385 dated 06/2006 with the driver provider as Microsoft (On my Laptop)
driver version as 10.0.19041.746 dated 06/2006 with the driver provider as Microsoft (On my PC)

Considering that the firmware update of the LPC resolved the issue of communications failure on my PC, I again updated the same LPC using my laptop. After doing so I could confirm that the new windows driver details on my laptop displayed:

driver version as 10.0.19041.746 dated 06/2006 with the driver provider as Microsoft

It would seem that the act of updating the LPC’s firmware, regardless of wither or not LPC needs it, forces windows to update its driver for the device. This however, would suggest that I would have to repeat this process for each Laptop/PC that needs to interface with the LPC which is less than ideal.

To Summarise:

1. Windows drivers appear to be outdated for the LPC1768
  2. There appears to be no feasible way of updating windows serial driver through MBED as the driver installer (available here) is for windows 7 and “…on Windows 8 or newer; serial ports work out of the box with these versions.”, though this may not be an accurate statement
  3. The windows 7 serial driver installer available to download from the above link does not commence to download
  4. Installing/Reinstalling MBED studios does not update the windows driver

Hopefully a more practical method of updating the windows driver may be implemented soon, perhaps a revision of other platforms serial abilities needs to be undertaken to high light this issue with any other devices.

Andrew"