Suggestions to reduce project size

Hi @eencae, @noutram, @asewa, @JohnnyK, @ladislas

Mbed Studio 1.2.0 has just been released. It contains the functionality for sharing Mbed OS instance across multiple programs in the workspace. You can find out more about this functionality here: Managing libraries - Managing libraries | Mbed Studio Documentation.
Please do not hesitate to try it and let us know what you think. Please let us know also if you have an idea for other improvements.
We are still investigating the best solution for improving also the compilation time of Mbed programs in Studio.

Thanks,
Arek - Mbed Studio team

1 Like

I shall test at the first opportunity!

Many thanks

Nick

Excellent, will try as soon as I get the chance! This should hopefully solve any issues we had with deploying in the labs. Now we just need to find a fix for COVID19 and we’ll be sorted!

1 Like

Hi Arek,

I tested that dreamed feature and I think it is little bit different then the version what was tested on the web test preview but it is functional and it can really help with save of a disc space. Thank to team for great work.

However I have some points for it.
If I correctly understanding, the idea was share the library between projects/programs from one of them. But I prefer make a copy of the MbedOS lib out of programs workspace. With that I avoid problems when I need delete any program without fear about I will lost source for others. But I’ll pay for it with that I’ll lose a chance for update the lib without manual manipulation.

In your solution I also see a potential for another feature than only save of a disc space.
You can hold more different version of the Mbed OS lib or your modified one (for some testing)and easily swapping between them. Currently it is possible only switch from downloaded to shared one and then back to downloaded but not to another shared.

I think, It is a pity that feature cannot be used also for normal libraries.

The last thing. When you delete any version (shared/local) out of program, it is not possible to select the shared one as new one, again only the local one which is downloaded again.

My Mbed_lib folder contain MbedOS 5.15.5 / 6.2.1 / 6,3 - total 3,3GB and
MbedPrograms with 8 testing projects - total 470MB
So 3,77GB instead of 8GB+.

BR, Jan

1 Like