MBED Studio Big Picture questions

I’ve been using the online compiler for several years with a LPC1768-based development board.

Question 1: I’m having no problems to speak of but what would be reasons for me to switch to MBED Studio.

Question 2: Are my the source files, etc., stored on my computer or in MBED’s cloud? What about other things such as libraries found in the MBED site?

Question 3: Version control is built into the online compiler environment. Why is it a separate installation with the MBED Studio? Where is the version controlled database stored?

Question 4: (not an MBED Studio question) - is the LPC1768 “getting old”. Should I consider a newer processor? Hardware floating point would be nice. Want a widely used, stable platform.

Thanks!

@ahume
This is quite subjective if you should switch or not. For me Mbed Studio’s code linting makes quite a big difference. I do not need to memorize all the API member functions, i just hit . (or :: or ->) and i can easily find what i am looking for. Less typos/bugs overall.

You can import any Mbed libraries/projects from github/online compiler (in earlier Studio versions that did not always work)

With Mbed Studio everything is stored locally on your hard drive. By default each your local projects will download it’s own Mbed OS framework. If you have many projects those can eat up free space quite fast. There is also an option that 1 OS version can be shared through all the projects.

Mbed Studio also notifies you if there is an update for a component of your project and can update it if you want.

Mbed Studio also lets you modify core files, so you can also contribute to core…

And you can also debug the code on your target with Mbed Studio.

Personally i think Mbed Studio is far more versatile, however first compilations/clean builds are slower than with the online compiler and Studio can also take a lot drive space.

Thanks for the informative reply. I’m a nervous one when it comes to upgrading a foundation. You’re telling me that everything is stored locally is a great help in getting a clear picture of what’s going on.

I very much appreciate the work the MBED team does. It must be an enormous task given all of the software and hardware flavors and contributions by many people.

Thanks again!

Al Hume

| projectX_V Peter Bankuti
March 10 |

• | - |

@ahume
This is quite subjective if you should switch or not. For me Mbed Studio’s code linting makes quite a big difference. I do not need to memorize all the API member functions, i just hit . (or :: or ->) and i can easily find what i am looking for. Less typos/bugs overall.

You can import any Mbed libraries/projects from github/online compiler (in earlier Studio versions that did not always work)

With Mbed Studio everything is stored locally on your hard drive. By default each your local projects will download it’s own Mbed OS framework. If you have many projects those can eat up free space quite fast. There is also an option that 1 OS version can be shared through all the projects.

Mbed Studio also notifies you if there is an update for a component of your project and can update it if you want.

Mbed Studio also lets you modify core files, so you can also contribute to core…

And you can also debug the code on your target with Mbed Studio.

Personally i think Mbed Studio is far more versatile, however first compilations/clean builds are slower than with the online compiler and Studio can also take a lot drive space.