A few issues with Mbed-Studio V1.4 on Ubuntu 20 LTS

Hi,

I just tried Mbed-studio on Ubuntu 20 LTS, overall I am surprised the installation and compilation of a test project went through without any hiccup. Also the compilation speed is a lot faster than on Windows 10.

Window 10, I7-8565U, SSD, 2’50’’
Ubuntu 20 LTS, I7-3630QM, SSD, 1’30’’

The laptop Ubuntu runs on is 5 years older than Windows laptop, and benchmarked at least 20% slower, but still it took 80 seconds less to compile the same project. Presumably, this is due to more efficient file system of linux and no anti-virus getting in the way.

There are two silly issues:

1. File tree doesn’t automatically update when a file/folder is deleted, the deleted item remains in the tree until its parent folder is collapsed and expanded again.

2. Files outside current folder are shown unable to include but project can compile. In the attached screenshot, CC13XX.h file is outside of src folder, but cannot be recognized. I probably missed some settings.

If those two issues can be fixed, I think I will have no problem using Mbed-studio on Ubuntu as main dev setup, given the huge speed boost.

Update:

After rebooting Ubuntu, the aforementioned two issues somehow just solved themselves. I guess this is just moot.

Hi @zhiyong ,

Thank you for the feedback. Let me provide some answers:

• Yes, compilation on macOS and Linux is much faster. There are 3 reasons behind that: a) ARMC6 compiler is slower on Windows b) Windows Defender scanning files c) Windows file system . We are actively working with Arm Compiler team to speed up the compilation on Windows system.
  • File tree doesn’t automatically update when a file/folder is deleted, the deleted item remains in the tree until its parent folder is collapsed and expanded again - This issue is mentioned here: Known issues and troubleshooting - Known issues and troubleshooting | Mbed Studio Documentation . You can find that the same problem exists also in VS Code on Linux. You can find a solution here: Running Visual Studio Code on Linux

Thanks,
Arek - Studio team

@arekzaluski Thanks for the information.

Could you elaborate on how Mbed Studio/Clang handles index of symbolic linked mbed-os folder? The main reason I considered switching away from mbed-cli + VS Code is linked mbed-os folder get indexed and cached multiple times. As a result, I ended up with 25+ GB cache folder under VS Code.

Judging from folder structure and sizes in C:\Users<user>\AppData\Local\Mbed Studio\programs, it seems each project and linked mbed-os folder seems to be still indexed individually, but the size of each cache folder is considerably smaller than those in VS Code, < 100MB vs 1+GB for each project.