Future of mbed 3.0

So, mbed OS 5.0 is released. It now supports real time programming and some other options. I did read full release note , but I have some questions.
First of all, will mbed os 3.0 be available in future?
What about minar? Is that no longer a thing for scheduling events?
And what about compiler on developer.mbed.org? Is it now “compatible” with mbed OS 5.0? Or can we still use some other IDE(like cloud9)?

Hi Emilija,

First of all, will mbed os 3.0 be available in future?

It will be available for download, but will not be updated. mbed OS 5 is the new version.

What about minar? Is that no longer a thing for scheduling events?

We have replaced minar with an optional scheduler which can run in an RTOS thread. It does similar things as minar and can be found at GitHub - ARMmbed/mbed-events: DEPRECATED! This project has moved to mbed-os.

And what about compiler on developer.mbed.org? Is it now “compatible” with mbed OS 5.0? Or can we still use some other IDE(like cloud9)?

Yes, online compiler has been updated to use mbed OS 5 and can compile both Classic (2.0) and 5.0 programs.

With the release of mbed-cli you can also compile offline similar to yotta in mbed OS 3, and the same IDEs as in mbed 2.0 are supported as well (like uVisor, IAR, etc.).

Thank you for your reply, it clears a lot of things.
One more question: Yotta is not a thing anymore for mbed 5.0?

Correct, yotta has been replaced by mbed CLI.

Hi,
is there a blog post or something explaining why you dropped yotta, minar and introduced mbed-cli instead? I think you spent quite some time and efforts on yotta development and did a decent job in sharing the plans with the community. Then, out of the blue mbed-cli was introduced (I really like the fact that even my old mbed 2 projects compile without much trouble) and it’s not really clear why you changed minds.
I think it’s key for a prospering community to share the motivation behind such a big change.
Thanks,
Jens

1 Like

Hi Jens, others,

Some background is in this blog post by Simon Ford. The key point for dropping yotta / the library system for mbed OS 3 is that it’s incompatible with the module system we use in mbed 2. This was hurting both the ecosystem and the community, with new features coming to mbed OS 3, but the community still building most apps and libraries on mbed 2.

Given that the community is what has made mbed to what it is today, we decided to port all new fancy features of mbed OS 3 (nanostack, uVisor, Client support, etc.) to the mbed 2 library system, and write a new tool to work offline (because we very much like that of yotta).

On minar: it’s not gone, it’s just no longer mandatory now that we have an RTOS in mbed OS 5. The idea of having an event scheduler which handles everything for you is pretty great (and as someone coming from a web background I love it), but it also limits you. Thus for mbed OS 5 we re-released minar as mbed-events, and it can run in an RTOS thread. Should combine the best of both worlds.

Hope this helps,

Jan Jongboom
Developer Evangelist IoT

1 Like

Hi Jan,
thanks for sharing the background. Makes sense to me! Happy to have now a consistent offline and online working environment across mbed 2 & 3.

Cheers,
Jens