Getting started feedback

Hello beta testers!

This thread is for sharing your suggestions and feedback regarding the getting started experience for mbed OS.

If you have a specific question, please start a new thread. Thanks!

What’s the key difference between mbed.com & mbed.org?
Some contents are difference, seems mbed.com are most updated, and getting more focus in the future. How to position mbed.org?

Best regards,
David Bian

congratulate mbed 3.0 release!

Documentation for getting started / installing yotta etc is very good.

Although more documentation is required on the packages (mbed-drivers etc). I think you call packages modules if I confused any one there lol.

Also there are errors in the socket examples on Github from what I can remember
mbed::FunctionPointer1<void, const char*> fp(hello, &HelloHTTP::startTest);
should be
mbed::util::FunctionPointer1<void, const char*> fp(hello, &HelloHTTP::startTet);

Other than that thanks for finally bringing embedded development out of the 1980 ;).

@motters: Please report that error → create an issue in the repository, to track and fix this. Thanks.

What docs would you like to have for those modules? Can you be more specific?

@Kojto I’ll get a Github issue raised some time today :smile:

When I say documentation for packages (like mbed drivers) I mean an explanation of the package and its classes + methods.

In the mbed drivers package you have tones of class that control different core functions of the IC. So personally I’d expect a run down of all the classes and methods with examples of how to use them.For example:

##MBED Drivers Package
###Class: DigitalIn
Explanation: This class allows the developer to read the status of pins.
Public function: read(); mode();
Initialising example: DigitalIn referance(input_id);
Example of use: Some code example of using DigitalIn
###Class: DigitalOut
etc etc etc

For example PHP would give you a list of available functions in an Extension (PHP: Filesystem - Manual) and then document each function (PHP: fopen - Manual). It would explain in detail the parameters required, restrictions, alternates, version required etc.

Similarly Laravel (PHP based framework; using the same package based idea) would do Installation - Laravel - The PHP Framework For Web Artisans.

It makes it super easy to jump into development; as you don’t need to worry about “how do I use X,Y,Z”, spending hours reading though code docblocks.

My first + favour language is PHP and it is known for its outstanding documentation, so I’m sorry if I compare MBED to PHP. I know its unfair but documentation is so important. Currently its a bit like “If you cant understand my code you should not be use it” lmfaoo.

Other than that MBED 3 is really awesome! You guys have done a top job :smiley: