Mbed and the ARM assembler, .s file not being assembled

(Justin Jordan) #1

A few weeks ago a library that I have worked on stopped building due to a .s file, but nothing changed in the file.

I have been doing some digging and found that the ARM assembler doesn't support 'C' preprocessor directives unless the flag --cpreproc is used when the assembler is invoked. I am assuming this used to happen since the file uses 'C' preprocessor directives and used to build. Has anything changed recently in the build configuration for the ARM toolchain?

I have also tried using the offline build tools documented here, https://docs.mbed.com/docs/mbed-os-handbook/en/5.1/dev_tools/cli/, and can successfully build the library with the other two toolchains; IAR GCC_ARM, but not ARM.

While experimenting with the offline tools I grabbed a snippet of where the ARM compiler appears to preprocess the .s file and then try to compile it. I am not sure if the ARM compiler invokes the assembler to do this, or how this takes place, but I did notice the --via flag being used without an '=' sign for the 'via' file. Is this correct? Please see below.

Compile: owlink.s
[DEBUG] Compile: C:\Keil_v5\ARM\ARMCC\bin\armcc -c --gnu -Otime --split_sections --apcs=interwork --brief_diagnostics --restrict --multibyte_chars --cpu=Cortex-M3 -I "C:\Keil_v5\ARM\ARMCC\include" -D__CMSIS_RTOS -D__MBED_CMSIS_RTOS_CM -D__SYSTEM_HFX=24000000 -D__CORTEX_M3 -DARM_MATH_CM3 --via ..build\MAX32600MBED\ARM.includes_1e50e440b5cf0df164a3683d7fead445.txt --preinclude=..build\MAX32600MBE
D\ARM\mbed_config.h -E -o ..build\MAX32600MBED\ARM\Masters\OwGpio.temp\owlink.o.E.s C:\Users\Justin.Jordan\Documents\svn\mbed\OneWireLibrary\mbed\trunk\fw\OneWire\Masters\OwGpio\owlink.s
[DEBUG] Return: 0
[DEBUG] Compile: C:\Keil_v5\ARM\ARMCC\bin\armcc -c --gnu -Otime --split_sections --apcs=interwork --brief_diagnostics --restrict --multibyte_chars --cpu=Cortex-M3 -I "C:\Keil_v5\ARM\ARMCC\include" -o ..build\MAX32600MBED\ARM\Masters\OwGpio\owlink.o ..build\MAX32600MBED\ARM\Masters\OwGpio.temp\owlink.o.E.s
[DEBUG] Return: 0

I can provide the whole output if it would be helpful. I appreciate any feedback on this issue.

(Justin Jordan) #2

A little more info.

The C preprocessor statements were first looking at the TARGET_MAX32600 macro to see if the correct target was being used, and then the TOOLCHAIN_BLAH macros for inserting the correct asm code for the tool chain being used.

As I mentioned, this was working fine up until about two weeks ago.

I did a little more experimenting and removed all C preprocessor directives and asm code for other toolchains, and the library builds with no warnings errors.

I then added an ARM asm IF :DEF:TARGET_MAX32600 to the file and I get the same errors again. Yes, I have the correct target selected.

It appears that starting a few weeks ago, the assembler has lost knowledge of the target macros.

Does anyone know what is going on?

Important Information for this Arm website

This site uses cookies to store information on your computer. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our cookies. If you are not happy with the use of these cookies, please review our Cookie Policy to learn how they can be disabled. By disabling cookies, some features of the site will not work.