Mbed Studio [ERROR] armclang: error: System clock tampering detected. License checkout will fail. armclang: error: Failed to check out a license

I installed Mbed Studio 0.91 on my Mac (I had a previous version 0.6x) installed before. I am getting the following error message:

[ERROR] armclang: error: System clock tampering detected. License checkout will fail.
armclang: error: Failed to check out a license.

Any idea how I can fix this. I removed the old version and the Application Support files, however I don’t get it to work.

Any ideas?

1 Like

Hi I also have the same issue, I would like to know if you got the solution please

Windows or Mac?
What have you changed?

I’m using windows 10 and I don’t remember changing anything recently on my pc.

Hello,

I have only a Tip, because I work on Windows 10 and I haven’t this issue. If not help, sorry for spam :slight_smile:
If you already have an another application (Keil or something) where is also installed/used same tool, then is a chance there is a collision between versions.
I had an old Git app already installed and after an update of the MbedStudio, where was probably instaled new version of the Git app, I was unable to import from github, until I uninstaled the old git version.
The Git was probably called from ProgramFiles via a system path, instead of from folders for MbedStudio. That issue (about Git) was fixed in Version 0.8.0 of MbedStudio.

BR, Jan

We have occasionally seen this issue, which as the error suggests seems to be due to the compiler licensing. The Arm Compiler team are aware of it, but it is challenging to reproduce, so if you have any additional information that might help, please email studio@mbed.com and we’ll pass it on.

So that you don’t get blocked, you can use GCC instead with Studio if you like by following these instructions: Switching to GCC - Installing | Mbed Studio Documentation

I am having this problem on a Mac, I am happy to trace whatever is needed. What kind of information do you need?

PS: GCC I am using on a CLI base, however the ARM compiler produces smaller/better code.

I am as well happy to test a Mbed pre-release version to verify if the problem still exists.

Re-installingthe entire Mac (clean install disk) is just too much work for me.

I’ve run into this error too and plan to send a bug report email to the address listed above (thank you, @JoeA).

For reference sake, here’s the error I’m seeing:

Building project ep-mbed-os-example-pelion (EP_AGORA, ARMC6)
Scan: ep-mbed-os-example-pelion
Using ROM regions bootloader, header, application in this build.
Region bootloader: size 0x8000, offset 0x0
Region header: size 0x70, offset 0x10000
Region application: size 0xefc00, offset 0x10400
Compile [  5.7%]: mbed_stats_helper.c
Compile [  5.8%]: pal_rtos.c
[ERROR] armclang: error: System clock tampering detected. License checkout will fail.
armclang: note:
Information about this error is available at: http://ds.arm.com/support/lic56/m1004
General licensing information is available at: http://ds.arm.com/support/licensing/
If you need further help, provide this complete error report to your supplier or license.support@arm.com.
- ARMLMD_LICENSE_FILE: '/tmp/.mount_mbed-splW2eh/tools-config/ac6-license.dat'
- LM_LICENSE_FILE: unset
- ARM_PRODUCT_DEF: unset
- ARM_PRODUCT_PATH: unset
- ARM_TOOL_VARIANT: unset
- Product location: /home/trowbridgec/.config/Mbed Studio/mbed-studio-tools/ac6/sw/mappings
- Toolchain location: /home/trowbridgec/.config/Mbed Studio/mbed-studio-tools/ac6/bin
- Selected tool variant: product
- Checkout feature: mbed_armcompiler
- Feature version: 5.0202002
- Flex error code: -1004
Product: ARM Compiler 6.14 for Mbed Studio
Component: ARM Compiler 6.14
Tool: armclang [5db06c00]
armclang: error: ARM Compiler does not support '-mcpu=cortex-m4'

I’m using Mbed Studio 1.1.0 on Ubuntu 20.04.

Hi Joe,

This same problem recently resurfaced. The last time it happened was 6 months ago, then I rebooted several times, the problem went away (I could do ‘clean build’ with no errors.) Now this error has returned. I switched to GCC Embedded Compiler by adding a external-tools.json file and installing GNU Arm Embedded Toolchain\10 2020-q4-major, but ARMC6 compiler always invoked. Any solution so far ? I maybe lockout from using mbed studio like others.

Rgds,
Glennon

• Checkout feature: mbed_armcompiler
  • Feature version: 5.0202010
  • Flex error code: -1004
    Product: ARM Compiler 6.15 for Mbed Studio
    Component: ARM Compiler 6.15
    Tool: armclang [5dd79400]
    armclang: error: ARM Compiler does not support ‘-mcpu=cortex-m3’

Info:

• Windows 10 Pro
  • Mbed Studio Version 1.4.1
  • Library mbed-os 6.13.0
  • PC system clock is fine, no drifting
  • Platform LPC1768 ( cortex M3 )

Hi Helmut,

Have you found a solution ? I have the same problem.

Rgds
Glennon

Yes, searching for files with an older mdate and removing them. One of the files was the ARM cache file which indicates tampering. I don’t recall which file it was. Sorry no more details available.
Regards Helmut

I take it you don’t see the error message anymore. I switched to alternative GCC compiler.
Regards Glennon