Online Simulator compiling how to change code and run

Hello
I am a professor of electronics and microcontrollers. Because of covid-19 I can no longer do practical work with my students. I would like to use the ARM MBED online simulator.
How to modify the code on the mbed simulator?
For example on blinky demo if I change the ASCII text of printf then I click on run … The simulator displays compiling … but nothing changes in the demo
Can you help me ?

Hi,
I do not have experiences with that but I can confirm, that is really not working - compiling forever (tested on Edge and Chrome).
However, on owner’s github page you can found an info in the readme.

Update: I have left Arm (and started Edge Impulse!) and won’t be updating the simulator anymore. Unfortunately no-one within Arm has taken over the project either.

So it is probably dead.

BR, Jan

Hi Christian,

I’ve sent you a DM about this.

Thanks,
Joe

Is this topic for only specific person?
Why you cannot explain in the forum?

1 Like

Hi Joe Alderson
I don’t reveive DM
my email is christian.dupaty@ac-aix-marseille.fr
Thanks
Christian

Hi all,

I have the same request as Christian for exactly the same reason :slight_smile:

Such tools are now more important than ever, and it would be beneficial for ARM itself to support then and even extended them. Most probably many of us would be willing to contribute.

So please, Joe, an anyone from the ARM staff if there is a solution please let us all know and if not I would kindly like to ask you to look into it.

Does the offline version have the same problem?
When I try to install mbed CLI on Ubuntu 18.04 the mbed command is not recognized which is also a problem reported in various forums. Is there a solution for this as well?

KR,
Christos

The simulator was an experiment, and we are considering whether we can quickly bring it back up, hosted at a more sensible URL (e.g. simulator.mbed.com). We can’t commit to running it in the long term without careful discussion, or feature development, but during this difficult and unusual time we can try to help!

I completely understand why it would be useful right now, and I’m aware that many universities use Mbed for teaching. I’m not sure about the offline version - you might have to try it out and let us know. Looking at the pre-requisites for the offline version, it might be better to focus on the online version.

We appreciate the offer of help as well!

https://simulator.mbed.com/ is now up and running thanks to @micque and team!

Let us know if this suits your needs?

3 Likes

Thank you very very mutch to the MBED team
I will now adapt my practical work to the simulator

If you are interested, I have carried out a series of courses and practical work on MBED and STM32.
But only in French
http://genelaix.free.fr/spip.php?rubrique18

I also worked on the export of .bin files from MBED to the PROTEUS VSM simulator, unfortunately without success.
The .hex obtained with srec_cat.exe, is well recognized by PORTEUS but the program “crashes”
Best regards
Christian Dupaty

3 Likes

What a great site. The documents are written really well. Thanks for sharing.

Hello
For information.
https://simulator.mbed.com/ works very well.
But if you do a google search with “mbed simulator” the first entry given is Introducing the Mbed Simulator | Mbed which has a link here:
http://ec2-52-211-146-247.eu-west-1.compute.amazonaws.com:7829/
this version does not work …

Thanks, we can redirect that.

Late to the party but I’m also teaching embedded systems.
Came here to do shameless self-promotion.
It seems official simulator is back up and running but before that, I had to dive into janjongboom’s and ARM’s repositories to get the simulator back up and running. It ended up providing a self-hosted alternative for my students with all of the demos and features from both sides. Here’s the github repo: GitHub - alpsayin/mbed-simulator: Experimental simulator for Mbed OS 5 applications
It uses the mbed OS 5.10 API. Needless to say, it’s also very experimental.
As an alternative you can also use Keil uVision v5 (C51) with edsim51 which also provides a good starting point with little to no abstraction.

1 Like