SAMR21 Thread / Mesh Implementation Questions

(Colin Foe-Parker) #1

Hi Everyone,

I am relatively new to the mbed ecosystem. I am trying to evaluate the state of the software for a future wireless 802.15.4 design. I would would like to build a thread demonstration using the SAMR21 XPlained Development Board. I have seen similar examples on Atmel's video demonstrations.

I have successfully configured yotta to build the default blinky app for the SAMR21 XPlained Development Board. It blinks and spits text out the USB serial port. Woot! Win!

I believe my next jumping off point is the mbed-client-example-6lowpan.

I have changed the configuration to "appl_bootstrap_mode_thread: true" and "device_type: MESH_DEVICE_TYPE_THREADY_SLEEPY_END_DEVICE"

I have worked through the compile time issues and all the modules are currently building. The issue I have is at link time.

~/sandbox/mbed-client-example-6lowpan/yotta_targets/atmel-samr21g18a-gcc/CMake/../ld/samr21g18a.ld:115 cannot move location counter backwards (from 000000002000bd84 to 0000000020006000)

I believe this error is a result of trying to squeeze too much into the 32KB of RAM on the MCU. Which brings up the relevant questions:

1.) This video demonstrates Thread running on the evaluation hardware. Is that example available in public anywhere?

2.) If I need to shrink the RAM and Flash footprint of the demonstration, what modules can be removed? I have provided the output of yt ls below.

mbed-client-example-6lowpan 0.0.2
┣━ mbed-client 1.4.9
┃ ┣━ mbed-client-c 2.2.11 yotta_modules/mbed-client-c
┃ ┃ ┗━ nanostack-libservice 3.1.1 yotta_modules/nanostack-libservice
┃ ┣━ mbed-client-mbed-os 1.1.6 yotta_modules/mbed-client-mbed-os
┃ ┃ ┣━ mbed-drivers 1.3.0 yotta_modules/mbed-drivers
┃ ┃ ┃ ┣━ mbed-hal 1.2.2 yotta_modules/mbed-hal
┃ ┃ ┃ ┃ ┗━ mbed-hal-atmel 1.0.0 yotta_modules/mbed-hal-atmel
┃ ┃ ┃ ┃ ┣━ mbed-hal-atmel-common 1.0.0 yotta_modules/mbed-hal-atmel-common
┃ ┃ ┃ ┃ ┗━ mbed-hal-atmel-samcortexm0p 1.0.0 yotta_modules/mbed-hal-atmel-samcortexm0p
┃ ┃ ┃ ┃ ┗━ mbed-hal-atmel-samr21g18a 1.0.1 yotta_modules/mbed-hal-atmel-samr21g18a
┃ ┃ ┃ ┣━ cmsis-core 1.1.2 yotta_modules/cmsis-core
┃ ┃ ┃ ┃ ┗━ cmsis-core-atmel 1.0.0 yotta_modules/cmsis-core-atmel
┃ ┃ ┃ ┃ ┗━ cmsis-core-atmel-samcortexm0p 1.0.0 yotta_modules/cmsis-core-atmel-samcortexm0p
┃ ┃ ┃ ┃ ┗━ cmsis-core-atmel-samcortexm0p-samr21 1.0.0 yotta_modules/cmsis-core-atmel-samcortexm0p-samr21
┃ ┃ ┃ ┣━ ualloc 1.1.0 yotta_modules/ualloc
┃ ┃ ┃ ┃ ┗━ dlmalloc 1.0.0 yotta_modules/dlmalloc
┃ ┃ ┃ ┣━ minar 1.1.0 yotta_modules/minar
┃ ┃ ┃ ┃ ┗━ minar-platform 1.0.0 yotta_modules/minar-platform
┃ ┃ ┃ ┃ ┗━ minar-platform-mbed 1.1.4 yotta_modules/minar-platform-mbed
┃ ┃ ┃ ┣━ core-util 1.6.0 yotta_modules/core-util
┃ ┃ ┃ ┣━ compiler-polyfill 1.2.1 yotta_modules/compiler-polyfill
┃ ┃ ┃ ┗━ greentea-client 0.1.8 yotta_modules/greentea-client
┃ ┃ ┗━ sockets 1.1.3 yotta_modules/sockets
┃ ┃ ┗━ sal 1.1.5 yotta_modules/sal
┃ ┗━ mbed-client-mbedtls 1.0.15 yotta_modules/mbed-client-mbedtls
┃ ┗━ mbedtls 2.2.1 yotta_modules/mbedtls
┣━ atmel-rf-driver 2.0.2
┃ ┗━ sal-stack-nanostack 4.0.2 yotta_modules/sal-stack-nanostack
┃ ┣━ sal-stack-nanostack-eventloop 1.0.7 yotta_modules/sal-stack-nanostack-eventloop
┃ ┃ ┗━ mbed-6lowpan-eventloop-adaptor 1.1.1 yotta_modules/mbed-6lowpan-eventloop-adaptor
┃ ┣━ nanostack-randlib 1.0.0 yotta_modules/nanostack-randlib
┃ ┗━ coap-service 2.1.0 yotta_modules/coap-service
┗━ mbed-mesh-api 2.2.0
┗━ sal-iface-6lowpan 2.0.1 yotta_modules/sal-iface-6lowpan

3.) Is this the correct location to be asking this question?

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks,

-Colin

(Seppo Takalo) #2

Hi Colin,

Yes, you have picked the right sample application to evaluate.

The Atmel demonstration used our modified Thread stack without any security features and without the mbed-client functionality. I don't believe that their demonstration code is public.

The full Thread stack with mandatory security functions and mbed-client with DTLS security just does not fit into this device. Currently we develop and publish our example applications using the FRDM-K64F development board. We are not yet in a phase where we optimize for the minimal flash size so I cannot help you there, sorry.

Br.
Seppo

(Colin Foe-Parker) #3

Seppo,

Thank you for helping answer some of my questions. You confirmed my concerns about the flash and ram size.

-Colin

(Tibor Beke) #4

Not related to the SAMR21, but to the mesh networking.

Is there any way I can test the multihop capabilities? I have a few nodes and a border router, but currently all the nodes connect to the border router. Any ideas/suggestion to enforce a node to connect to another (routing) node?
I only need this for testing/development.

The sources are not open source so I have no idea how to go around with this.
https://github.com/ARMmbed/sal-stack-nanostack/tree/master/source

Important Information for this Arm website

This site uses cookies to store information on your computer. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our cookies. If you are not happy with the use of these cookies, please review our Cookie Policy to learn how they can be disabled. By disabling cookies, some features of the site will not work.