Seriously Disappointed

Note that if you guys are struggling with Mbed Studio issues, you might be interested in trying out mbed-cmake. It allows you to use Mbed OS from a number of different IDEs that support CMake integration, including both VS Code (free) and CLion (paid, unless you’re a student). Theoretically CMake also supports Eclipse but I haven’t tested it recently and always found it to be very glitchy in the past. [Speaking as someone who used to be a heavy Eclipse CDT user, I can honestly say that CLion is better in just about every way… but that’s just my opinion.] We also provide replacements for the “mbed compile --flash” functionality, and you should be able to configure automatic uploading and debugging for most Mbed targets using mbed-cmake’s upload methods script.

The other thing that mbed-cmake does for you is remove your dependence on the heavy online component of Mbed development. All your project code ends up in a single repository, optionally with a submodule containing the Mbed code. So it’s super easy to control the versions of libraries that you use, and nothing is ever updated without you explicitly doing it. IMO this is especially important with all the breaking changes that are being made recently!

We have a getting started tutorial that should take you through setting up a project on all platforms, but after that you will need to use at least a little CMake scripting to set up your project sources and such. This is probably my favorite tutorial for that, it’s quite simple once you try it a bit.

3 Likes