Arm Mbed OS support forum

Cannot flash to Portenta H7 with new target option from latest mbed-os release

Hello,

Has anyone been able to have the mbed CLI detect and flash the Portenta_H7_M7 as a target?

I’m running Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS on a VM and I can compile the *blinky-baremetal * project with no problem. The only thing is I fail to flash when using the command:
mbed compile -m PORTENTA_H7_M7 -t GCC_ARM --flash --sterm

Simply put, the CLI cannot detect the board.

I have tried …

• Plugging the USB in and out
  • Using lsusb
  • Using ls -a /dev/ttyACM*

I know I can …

• Build with mbed CLI
  • Select the Portenta as a target
    • Using latest mbed-os release: 6.8.0

What I have installed/running…

• cmake: v3.16.3
  • mbed-os: v6.8.0
  • arm-none-gcc: 10.2.1 (I know, I know, it gives me a warning about; but that’s not the problem; I have used 9.x.x version before too)

Output of mbed config -G -L

[mbed] Global config:
GCC_ARM_PATH=usr/bin/arm-none-eabi-gcc
MBED_OS_DIR=/home/ponirs/mbed-os

[mbed] Local config (/home/ponirs/mbed_dev/blinky-baremetal):
TOOLCHAIN=GCC_ARM
TARGET=PORTENTA_H7_M7

I’ve also seen that the mbed Studio also picks up the option to choose the Portenta H7 as a target. I can build with it as well. However, it is the same issue as the CLI; which makes perfect sense to me. The CLI and the Studio do the same operation in different ways.

Here is my mbed compile -f --sterm output:

$ mbed compile -f --sterm
[mbed] Working path "/home/ponirs/mbed_dev/blinky-baremetal" (program)
[mbed] WARNING: Missing Python modules were not auto-installed.
       The Mbed OS tools in this program require the following Python modules: future, cryptography
       You can install all missing modules by running "pip install -r requirements.txt" in "/home/ponirs/mbed-os"
       On Posix systems (Linux, etc) you might have to switch to superuser account or use "sudo"
---
WARNING: MBED_GCC_ARM_PATH set as environment variable but doesn't exist
[Warning] @,: Compiler version mismatch: Have 10.2.1; expected version >= 9.0.0 and < 10.0.0
Building project blinky-baremetal (PORTENTA_H7_M7, GCC_ARM)
Scan: blinky-baremetal
Using ROM region application in this build.
  Region application: size 0x100000, offset 0x8000000
Using RAM region application_ram in this build.
  Region application_ram: size 0x80000, offset 0x24000000
Link: blinky-baremetal
Elf2Bin: blinky-baremetal
Merging Regions
  Filling region application with ./BUILD/PORTENTA_H7_M7/GCC_ARM/blinky-baremetal_application.bin
Space used after regions merged: 0x76e0
Merging Regions
  Filling region application with ./BUILD/PORTENTA_H7_M7/GCC_ARM/blinky-baremetal_application.bin
Space used after regions merged: 0x76e0
| Module           |     .text |   .data |     .bss |
|------------------|-----------|---------|----------|
| [fill]           |    56(+0) |   3(+0) |   18(+0) |
| [lib]/c_nano.a   |  2584(+0) | 100(+0) |   14(+0) |
| [lib]/gcc.a      |   772(+0) |   0(+0) |    0(+0) |
| [lib]/misc       |   188(+0) |   0(+0) |   28(+0) |
| [lib]/nosys.a    |    16(+0) |   0(+0) |    0(+0) |
| main.o           |   108(+0) |   0(+0) |   28(+0) |
| mbed-os/drivers  |    80(+0) |   0(+0) |    0(+0) |
| mbed-os/hal      |  1466(+0) |   8(+0) |  114(+0) |
| mbed-os/platform |  4934(+0) |   4(+0) |  306(+0) |
| mbed-os/targets  | 16828(+0) |  13(+0) | 1484(+0) |
| Subtotals        | 27032(+0) | 128(+0) | 1992(+0) |
Total Static RAM memory (data + bss): 2120(+0) bytes
Total Flash memory (text + data): 27160(+0) bytes

Update Image: ./BUILD/PORTENTA_H7_M7/GCC_ARM/blinky-baremetal_update.bin
Image: ./BUILD/PORTENTA_H7_M7/GCC_ARM/blinky-baremetal.bin
[mbed] ERROR: The target board you compiled for is not connected to your system.
       Please reconnect it and retry the last command.
---

My board is definitely detected by my VM because I can flash to it using the Arduino IDE and Arduino Pro IDE. They use dfu-utils but I’m not super familiar with how the mbed-tools flash through USB. Unless, I need an external debugger/programmer for the Portenta. But, I doubt it since I see SWD/JTAG pins in the schematic. However, I haven’t closely looked at what they are connected to. So, I should probably do that as well… :thinking:

Here is what is connected to my VM though USB:

ls -a /dev/ttyACM* output:
/dev/ttyACM0

lsusb output:
Bus 004 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0003 Linux Foundation 3.0 root hub Bus 003 Device 004: ID 0e0f:0002 VMware, Inc. Virtual USB Hub Bus 003 Device 003: ID 0e0f:0002 VMware, Inc. Virtual USB Hub Bus 003 Device 005: ID 2341:025b Arduino SA Envie M7 Bus 003 Device 002: ID 0e0f:0003 VMware, Inc. Virtual Mouse Bus 003 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub Bus 002 Device 002: ID 0e0f:0002 VMware, Inc. Virtual USB Hub Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub

Please let me know if there is any additional info I missed. I’m still learning about mbed tools and have a little experience with STM MCUs (Team HAL drivers! :partying_face:) but this RTOS stuff is a brand new world for me.

I’ve been stuck on this for days and I’m finally reaching out to the community since the Arduino IDEs are not a good option for debugging ANYTHING. :frowning_face:
I hope someone can point me out in the right direction.

Hello,

I think it is same like with Arduino Nano 33BLE, please see

Also this info looks useful.
Portenta H7 SWD interface. Where is the SWDIO and SWCLK Debug pins or pads? (arduino.cc)

BR, Jan