Check out our port of the latest AWS IoT SDK!

Dear Mbed community,

As some of you may have noticed, there has been a lot of development going on around the AWS IoT SDK lately. They seemed to be developing a v3 branch and then suddenly announced a complete new development. We at Nantis (our German website) were caught up between the transition and needed to port the SDK twice. For the first port, we used the official Mbed library, however we faced a lot of issues, many ultimately caused by the flawed design of the v3 branch. Therefore when the new version was published, we decided to migrate to the new one immediately, which in my opinion was a good decision since the new SDK seems much more stable and well-designed. For the last few months we have been testing the our port and are pretty happy with it, so we decided to make it open-source for the Mbed community. Feel free to check it out and contribute if it appeals to you!

In the meantime I noticed that the Mbed OS roadmap published by @donatien includes the update of the official port in the backlog. I hope our work would be of some contribution to the official port and duplicated effort could be prevented. Therefore I am also open for feedback by the Mbed team.

Link to the GitHub repo

Happy coding,
Bora

7 Likes

Hi Bora,

Wow - thanks a lot for sharing your work back!

Really great to see that the roadmap is useful and that giving as much visibility helps, we’ll continue enhancing it in the coming months!

Thanks again - we’ll look at your port, our team might come back with some questions if that’s okay :slight_smile:.

Cheers,

Don

1 Like

Hi Bora,
We are just about to start the update of the Mbed client for AWS and associated Mbed OS example for AWS. Your port is a great start and will allow us to speed up this activity. Thanks again!
Questions or feedback migth come soon.
Best regards,
Evelyne

I am looking forward to it! BTW I am adding some updates in the dev branch and probably will merge to main soon. Just to remind it is a work in progress :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi Bora,

Thank you for providing the port, it’s great!

We are importing it into our official repo, with a few small adjustments: New AWS IoT Core client based on work from Nantis GmbH by LDong-Arm · Pull Request #19 · ARMmbed/mbed-client-for-aws · GitHub
And an update to the official example (incl a demo for Device Shadow): Use the new AWS client in the example by LDong-Arm · Pull Request #40 · ARMmbed/mbed-os-example-for-aws · GitHub

Any feedback is very appreciated. Thanks again!

Cheers,

Lingkai

I’m glad that it was useful to be adapted to an official example!

I will consider forking back from your repo to incorporate any changes from us in the future.

1 Like