Error: use of -target-cpu cortex-m0plus is disallowed in this variant of ARM Compiler

Hello,

Just installed Mbed Studio on macOS (High Sierra, 10.13) and trying to compile the Mbed OS 5 blinky example with a Cortex M0+ target (any platform supporting Mbed OS 5 like KL25Z, DISCO L073), I’m getting these errors:

[ERROR] armclang: error: System clock tampering detected. License checkout will fail.
[...]
Product: ARM Compiler 6.13 for Mbed Studio
Component: ARM Compiler 6.13
Tool: armclang [5d895a00]
armclang: error: ARM Compiler does not support '-mcpu=cortex-m0plus'

or when I don’t have the “System clock tampering” error (which happens when I change target) :

[ERROR] Product: ARM Compiler 6.13 for Mbed Studio
Component: ARM Compiler 6.13
Tool: armclang [5d895a00]
error: use of -target-cpu cortex-m0plus is disallowed in this variant of ARM Compiler

Is the Cortex M0+ really “not allowed” with Mbed Studio ??! I couldn’t find any info on that online.
Can I use GCC ARM with Mbed Studio? Do I need to / can I use MBED CLI instead?

I figured Mbed Studio would be a easy and fast way to test my platform but I don’t want to spend any more time setting things up with the CLI if the end result is the same.

Thank you,

Cheers,
Benjamin

Hello,

before an answer from Mbed Studio team

Here is a list of supported/confirmed targets M0 and M0+ by MbedStudio.
Switch to GCC may be possible according to the documentation. And about Mbed Cli.

Maybe it will help.

BR, Jan

1 Like

Hello

Thank you! That made me try other boards, and actually I get the error with any target, not juste the M0+…
Seems like it’s linked with the license error (which I don’t known how to fix either) in a strange way, the second error output is just “hiding” the license problem.
Some files gets compiled at each build, I can see the % increase every time before the error.

I’ll try to switch Mbed Studio to GCC.

Benjamin

Hi Benjamin,

We have very occasionally seen these “system clock tampering” errors with Arm Compiler 6 licensing, and have made the compiler team aware. The M0+ is supported and I’ve just tried a build for the KL25Z so wonder if this is related.

Unfortunately there’s no obvious solution to this at the moment. As Jan points out, you could use GCC for now.

It would be very helpful if you could please send a log (help > report an issue > access log) to studio@mbed.com.

Thanks for the report,
Joe

Hi Joe,

I also thought of that when I tested other boards and nothing worked. I sent the log file, hopefully it will help.

I switched to GCC, it went smoothly and I can build now :grin:

Thank you,
Benjamin