Mbed end of life query

Firstly, massive shame that mbed os including keil online is coming to an end. This has been my main learning and development environment since 2010. I rely heavily on the mbed ecosystem for all my University teaching and I need to get through at least one more academic year so the phase out period provides some area of comfort. Please can I be assured that my students can still register their new accounts within this time frame and be supported as normal? I will then look to another alternative after July 2025

Sorry, I know this isn’t the question you asked, but I’m from the Mbed Community Edition project, and I’m trying to look into if/how we can provide an alternative to Keil Studio after it shuts down.

If we were able to set up an Mbed CE environment that could be installed onto people’s PCs with one click via the Arduino IDE and/or the PlatformIO IDE, would that be sufficient for what you need? Or is there another reason that the web app is preferred?

Hi Jamie

Thanks for your reply. The main issue for me as an educator and trainer is that all my training material is written around the mbed online compiler. I also have loads off lpc1768 that not sure if I can use again? I want to avoid starting to redevelop years of work over again

So if you could provide a similar IDE to the existing Keil studio that would also support the mbed 2 libraries and let me use my lpc1768 then yes, I may be able to adopt at my University

Kind regards

Glen

Oh, of course! I have an LPC1768 that I still use, and actually I have been going through and fixing stuff in Mbed CE for LPC1768 support (e.g. the ability to disable a PWM and some I2C slave bugs). Please give our hello world project a shot and let me know how it works for you! (btw, for LPC1768, the only UPLOAD_METHOD that works reliably is OpenOCD)

Currently this project does require some manual setup (e.g. installing the GCC ARM toolchain), but once you do that you can develop using either VS Code or CLion IDE. And I’m hoping that within a year’s time we can streamline this process a lot more!

Hi Glen,

Not to derail your chat above with Jamie - but I work in the education team at Arm where we work with academia. Would you be able to reach out to the education@arm.com inbox and provide a bit more context around your teachings and what you need access to? We can then provide you with the most relevant information/next steps.

Thanks,
Mark

Hi Mark

Yes of course, will do I wasn’t aware of that education inbox.

Cheers