We are glad you like it and thank you for the feedback. Yes, it is an initial implementation of this feature. We are planning improvements. More details below:
- We wanted to make it as simple as possible. That’s why a serial monitor is automatically open when the board is connected. Baudrate selection is also saved for a given board. I like the suggestion about the msgbox confirmation (Mbed Studio has a similar option to change active target when a new board is connected). We will think about adding it also to a serial feature.
- A separate window for each board is not a bug. We decided to support serial input/output from many boards at the same time. There is a separate window for each of them as each connection may use different serial options (for example baudrate).
- Yes. We are thinking about implementing 2 new buttons. One for clearing the window (similar to the one already existing in the terminal panel). Second for saving output in the file.
- The opposite direction is already implemented. It is present in Mbed Studio 0.7.0 and 0.8.0 on both platforms. The UI for it is not obvious at the moment but every character you type in serial window is automatically sent to the device. You can test it by adding
getc() in your code. We are planning to improve it in the future and allow to send multiple characters at once.
- Closing the serial panel for a given board is releasing it. A serial monitor outside of Mbed Studio can be used then.
- We are working on updating documentation: https://os.mbed.com/docs/. Please expect the serial feature to be documented soon.
Arek - Mbed Studio team